Quantity Surveyor mainly involved in the cost control process of a project as well as the handling of the contractual matters of the project. They are working for all the stakeholders in the construction industry (Clients, Contractors, Consultants, Suppliers, sub-contractors etc.). In some countries, they called cost managers, Cost control engineers, commercial managers or cost engineers.
What are Responsibilities of a Quantity Surveyor
based on the jobs and responsibilities they can be categorized into different categories. Pre-contract QS is only involving in the tender process. The main task of a post-contract QS is controlling the project cost. More importantly, they should control cost and quality without harming the time frame of the project. in the other hand, all the pre-contract QS’s should work as feeding party of a company. they should book future jobs to the company. these are the basic responsibility of a Quantity surveyor. Detailed tasks of a Quantity surveyor who worked for a contractor are showing in below mind map. tasks and responsibilities may change for the QSs who working for the consultants and clients.
Quantity Surveyor as a contract administrator, Delay analyst or claims officer,
Apart from the above key responsibilities QS can be assigned as a contract administrator, Delay analyst or claims officer to handle the contractual matter in construction. There are different responsibilities in these kinds of special roles.
what isMain responsibilities of a QS as Contract administrator can be,
- Analysing and discussing term and conditions in a contract.
- Predicting potential risks due to conditions in the contract and mitigating it.
- Following milestones of the project and take precautions to possible delays.
- Correspond the contract amendments.
- Investigating and agreeing for the change orders (variations).
Main responsibilities of a QS as Delay analyst or Claims officer can be.
- Analyses of delay in the work or project.
- Following the critical path and make sure the project reach interim milestones.
- redrafting project programme based on the identified delays.
- preparing and negotiating claims
for more insight visit-