Strategy and classification of design problemsContents hide1 Strategy and classification of design problems
The strategy is an essential factor in resolving any kind of a problem. As same as that, ‘design method’ is the term that uses in building design.
Usually, it follows a logical procedure even there is no ideal method in designing a building. For instance, we use objectivity to solve design problems. In other cases, the solution will be given by the subjectivity.
That means you will be able to solve one problem with a specific solution, but it won’t support to address another issue.
Moreover, there will be some cases that are very easy to identify the relevant activities that you can predict. On the other hand, some design processes follow a hard way that the designer must put a significant effort into identifying the information.
Figure 1: Complexity of the work
The above figure shows the typical cycle that demonstrates the repetitive process. The designer has to traverse it several times until he becomes satisfied.
So, the design is not a linear line. In consists of steps such as analyzing the problems, developing alternative hypotheses, and cyclical iterations till an acceptable solution is found.
The pragmatic design makes use of the material at hand. It does not base on existing concepts so that it is original. When concepts translated from certain material to another, Analogic design will occur. The main ideas related to one style of architecture in other forms, the Canonic design, will occur. What happens in the Iconic design is a repetition of commonly used styles.
Advantages of design methods to resolve design problems
A design strategy offers a lot of benefits to the designer. It is the factor that the designer uses to ensure that the stages have dealt with completely. Also, it has the ability to suit the problems that he has to deal with. Moreover, each member has a good understanding of the duty that they must do when there is a team. It improves the effectiveness of the procedure.
On the other hand, the client can check he work at each stage when there is a design method.
Any effective design method must include the following characteristics.
- The members can understand all the activities easily.
- The design method should be flexible.
- It provides the same opportunity for both logical and creative elements.
- Consist of proper evaluation procedures at each level.
- Encourage critical appraisals.
It is very important to get clear information from the clients. He will explain his objectives and other tasks that he expects from us. So, we must maintain a perfect communication with him. Usually, the clients impose constraints over the design. It may be flexible or not. However, these are the main constraints that the clients impose.
- The site where the building will be place
- The function of the relevant building
- The needs and wants of the occupants
- Legal restrictions
There are many forms of models that used in design process.
- To check the visual, dimensional effects, they use scaled-down physical models.
- To measure the other effects, they place this model in a special machine. For instance, the machine will be a wind tunnel.
- In addition to that, drawing plans and sections on paper are the most common method. They consider these drawings as representations in constructions.
- When there are complex functions for buildings, they use a form of bubble diagrams. This is a very useful method when you are dealing with specialized buildings. For instance, designers frequently use these types of models when they are designing hospitals and hotels.
We can divide the design process as follows.
- Evaluation or appraisal
- Evoking a response
Why is it important to pay great attention to the design of a certain building or construction? Because the goal of the design process is to ensure the satisfaction of the people who are going to use or see the final output. Moreover, the design must create a evoke a feeling of relaxation and pleasure at the end. That’s why it needs a rhythm there. Then, those arrangements of shapes will improve the convenience of eyes flow from one section to another without any discomfort. In addition to that, colours play a big role here. Also, the lighting and temperature are important.
The Design team to reduce design problems
When there is a requirement to design a large building, the design team will consist of, Using required professional at the design stage will reduced the design problems at later stage of project.
- Quantity surveyor
- Structural engineer
- Construction regulations coordinator
- Building services
There will be more other team members according to the type of project that the client requires.
- Civil engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Landscape architect
- Other specialist engineers
Figure :The designer as intermediary
RIBA Plan of work 2020
It explains the building process from conception to use, and it includes eight stages. Also, there are eight tasks too. The stages represent the columns and tasks do the job of the rows.
The stages of the plan
- Strategic definition- In this stage, the design team develop the initial design as per the client’s requirements and carry out feasibility studies. Also, they were analysing risks involved in the project.
- Preparation and briefing- In this stage, the consultant team plan required plans to execute the works, such as execution plan, project programme etc. And they are briefing all these preparations and plans to the client.
- Concept design-In the concept design stage, the design team develop all outline specifications and architectural concept of the building. Cost plan also prepared at this stage.
- Spatial Coordination- One of the most crucial factor in the RIBA plan of works. This stage consultant collaborates and analyses the design and cost plan.
- Technical Design- In this stage technical design is made aligned to the architectural concept.
- Manufacturing and Construction- Execution of works, and the inspection of quality
- Handover – Rectify defects and review final output
- Use- Using of building and operate.
Environmental issues to be focused
The environment is an important fact to consider in design. Developments of the world create some impacts on climatic systems and biodiversity. There are other special considerations too. As a result of that, everyone’s have paid their attention to the ‘Sustainable development.’
Moreover, the concentration of resources, minimization of energy consumption, environmental quality, and social equality are some fundamental goals of sustainable development.
Government drivers for sustainable development
In the site development, you must pay your consideration to these factors.
- Parking and circulation
- Access on to the site
- Open storage areas
- Size and sitting of buildings
- Possible future expansion